Penne alla Vodka Recipe
Penne alla Vodka has been around for some time with but its origin story is a little unknown. It’s made with vodka and has similarities to a Russian dish called Penne alla Moscovita, so is it from Russia? It’s a popular dish in the USA, so did the Americans create it? There are records of vodka-based pasta dishes in Italian cookbooks as early as the 1980s, so perhaps it’s actually Italian? The truth has been lost to the ages, but one important learning remains: Penne alla Vodka is absolutely delicious, and our new Penne alla Vodka recipe take this dish to all new heights!
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
250g Australian Organic Food Co. Tomato Passata
1/4 cup vodka
200ml thickened cream
400g penne pasta
60g grated parmesan plus extra to serve
small handful of basil leaves, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chopped onion. Saute over a low heat for 10 mins or until softened.
2. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and flash fry for 30 seconds.
3. Stir through the Australian Organic Food Co. Tomato Passata and simmer for 10 mins.
4. Stir through the vodka and cook for 3 mins.
5. Quickly stir through the cream to combine, then remove from the heat.
6. Cook the pasta in salted water according to the pack instructions. Drain and reserve some of the cooking water.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of the cooking water to the tomato sauce, then add in the pasta and parmesan and toss together over a low heat until the pasta is coated and glossy. Add more cooking water, if needed. Add salt to taste.
8. Serve with extra parmesan and enjoy!
Shop the Australian Organic Food Co. Tomato Passata online now at auspantry.com.