Lemon and Matcha Pinwheel Cookie Recipe
Don’t be deceived – this gorgeous Lemon and Matcha Cookie recipe is easier to make than it appears!
Prep Time: 10 mins + 1 1/2 hours chilling time mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Serves: 36
- 256g Australian Organic Food Co. Flour
- 115g powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 227g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Divide all ingredients in half, aside from the lemon rind and matcha. Repeat the following steps twice, once for the lemon rind dough and another for the matcha dough.
- Place the room temperature butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar in batches while mixing slowly, either with a standing mixer or hand-held mixer on low, or by hand with a rubber spatula. Ensure that both ingredients have been combined together completely.
- Sift in the flour and salt along with the lemon rind/matcha. Mix on low-medium until all of the flour has combined with the butter and sugar mixture.
- Place the dough onto a flat and clean surface and press the dough into a ball. Knead the dough gently a few times to check its texture. If it is still crumbly, keep kneading the dough until it forms a cohesive dough.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover, and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Careful not to chill it for too long as it won’t be as flexible if left in the fridge for longer.
- Sprinkle flour onto your working surface and roll out the dough to 1cm thickness into a rectangular shape. Do this for both dough mixtures.
- Once rolled out, carefully place one dough mixture on top of the other. With the short side closest to you, tightly roll up the layers of dough into a log. Wrap the log in cling wrap and refrigerate for two hours, or one hour in the freezer.
- With a sharp knife, trim the end of the log off and proceed to slice 1cm thick pieces of dough. Place on a lined baking tray with a few centimeters in between each cookie to allow for expansion.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are just about to golden. Once out of the oven, allow to cool momentarily before transferring onto a cooling rack.
Shop for the Australian Organic Food Co. Flour online at auspantry.com